Ranking at the top of the Search engine result pages is the dream of every business online. Don’t you think? Every good thing that could happen to an online business starts with visibility. If your brand ranks higher on the search results, it becomes more visible to your target audience, which means an increase in organic traffic and conversions. To get to the point of this online visibility, you need to optimize your website with the help of SEO which you shall learn in a bit.
In this article, you will learn about the following aspects of the SEO:
- What do you mean by SEO ?
- How does SEO Work?
- What are the different types of SEO?
- 10 Benefits of Optimizing your Website for SEO
- How to optimize for SEO?
What do you mean by SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimization means optimizing your website for search engines. In other words, it is the process of optimizing your website with elements such as content or structure to help people discover your brand.
How does SEO Work?
You might have questions regarding How Google features one’s website or web page on its SERP. This can be understood with the simple concept of crawl, index and serve.
Crawl: This is the process of looking out for new or updated web pages on the web. In this process, Google scans the pages on your website to collect information about content, structure, and other relevant data. These crawlers start from a new web page and then visit more pages by following links.
Index: When a crawler has crawled your website for elements such as content or meta texts, it gathers it to its index. You can imagine an index as a huge database where Google stores the crawled information.
Serve: Now, when a user’s search query matches with your indexed content, Google pulls it from the database and serves it to the user.
The main point is that Google will feature your content on its SERP until and unless your web page satisfies its search algorithms. In simple terms, the characteristics of a website that qualifies it to rank higher on search engines. This is exactly where SEO comes to match the web page qualities to that of Google Algorithms. It is also true for the ecommerce product web pages. Optimize the content of your product pages with ecommerce seo services to help Google feature your product page on top of its SERP.
What are the different types of SEO?
SEO practices are mainly classified into 4 main categories which is depicted in the table below:
|Optimization techniques applied directly on individual web pages to improve their rankings.
|Content, keywords, structure.
|Optimizing meta tags, creating quality content, using proper URLs.
|Activities performed outside the website to improve its visibility and reputation.
|Link building, social media, PR.
|Building backlinks, social media engagement, influencer outreach.
|Optimization of the technical aspects of the website to enhance crawling and indexing.
|Site structure, speed, markup.
|Improving site speed, implementing schema markup, XML sitemaps.
|Optimization focused on improving visibility in local search results for location-specific businesses.
|Local listings, reviews, citations.
|Optimizing Google My Business, managing online reviews, local keywords.
10 Benefits of Optimizing Your Website for SEO
Below are some of the key benefits that users get when optimizing their websites for SEO. They are as follows:
- Increased Organic Traffic: Optimizing your website for SEO helps you to attain a better search engine ranking. This, in turn, leads to higher visibility and an increase in organic traffic coming to your website.
- Enhanced User Experience: SEO also helps to provide a good user experience to your site’s guests. It takes care of the elements such as page loading speed, navigation or mobile friendliness. This results in an enhanced user experience which guides to lower bounce rates.
- Higher Conversion Rates: When your site or page ranks tall in search results, it attracts more relevant traffic. This targeted traffic has a higher chance of converting into leads or customers, which translates into an increase in conversion rate.
- Measurable Results: SEO also helps you to track and measure various parameters using tools such as Google Analytics. You can gain insights into website traffic, keyword rankings, user behaviour, and other valuable data to make a decision that aligns with the data gathered and clarify your SEO strategy.
8 Tips to Optimize your Site for SEO
1- Keyword Research
- Keyword research is finding the terms or phrases your target audience uses to arrive at a product or service related to your website. Consider the following steps:
- Identify the keywords that your target audience might use while searching for your website.
- Use keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ubersuggest or SEMrush to find search volume and competition.
- Filter out those keywords with a blend of high search volume and long-tail keywords that match with your content and user intent.
- Incorporate these keywords naturally into your website’s content, such as in header tags, body text, and meta texts.
2- Create High-quality Content
You might have heard this phrase saying content is every SEO campaign’s soul. If you have, well, now is the time to pay attention to the content of your website. Make sure you write your content as per the following tips:
- Write content that is informative, engaging, and unique in nature that provides value to the users.
- Research the topic thoroughly and ensure that it covers all the necessary subtopics.
- Use the keywords that you have researched naturally throughout the content.
- Give a proper structure to your content with headings, sub-headings, tables and bullet points.
3- Meta Texts
Meta text here signifies Meta Titles and descriptions.
- Meta Title: The title appears on the search engine result page. Also known as page titles, it helps search engines and users alike understand your web page’s context.
Do’s: Make sure that your meta title is short and crisp with target keywords. Write the meta title of your web page within the 50 characters limit for better visibility on the SERP.
- Meta Description: The short summary appears below the meta title. Just like meta titles, it helps both the search engines and users understand the context of your web page.
Do’s: Make sure that your meat description fits within the 150 characters limit. Exceeding this would lead to poor visibility on the SERP.
4- Optimize Images
A. For Page Speed: Compress the images on your web page without lowering the quality to improve page loading speed.
B. For Google Image Search: Use descriptive file names for your images and include the target keywords. This qualifies your image to appear on Google image search results.
C. For Accessibility: Add alt tags to your images. This provides a descriptive text that describes image content and keywords to the search engines and users with disability.
5- Internal Links
Internal Links are anchor texts that direct users from one website web page to another. By linking to relevant pages on your website, you can signal Google about the importance and relationship between those linked web pages. This helps Google better understand the architecture of your website, which ensures your website is crawled and indexed properly.
Also, internal links give out some page authority and link equity all over your website. When you link a new blog from your already ranking or authority blog, you transfer some of the authority to your new blog web page. This helps improve your new blog’s ranking potential in the SERP.
Backlinks are nothing but hyperlinks on a third party website that point back to your site. They are one of the most critical factors in Google’s algorithms and can help websites improve their authority and ranking. Earning high-quality backlinks from a website with a good domain score and relevant to your niche is crucial for SEO success. Acquiring backlinks from third party websites can be done with the help of strategies such as guest posting, writing content that aligns with the search intent of your visitors.
7- URL structure
URL: How does a URL like this make you feel- https://www.webssite.com/343635363834/gdfsryb/xxy/ ?
Lost, right? This is why such URLs are in need to be optimized for SEO. You might not know this, but an SEO optimized URL serves many purposes, among which it provides a sense of direction to the users visiting your website. Another benefit of having an SEO-optimized URL is that it provides the context and structure of your website to search engines. A good URL format should be one that is easy to understand for users and search engines alike. An Example of SEO optimized URL is as follows:
With the above URL format, you can now easily deduce which web page you are currently on and which page to go to
With an increase in the traffic coming from mobile devices, it is sensible to build or optimize your website in a way that opens the same as on a desktop. This mobile friendliness aspect of your website can be achieved through responsive design. Responsive design helps websites to adjust to any screen sizes used by the users. This design also saves monetary and human resources, which may have been used to build dedicated mobile websites.
SEO is the very solution you are looking for to improve your website’s online visibility and ranking. The above-discussed points are some key elements you should inculcate in your SEO campaign for success. Lastly, Remember that SEO takes time to show the result, but the results that you get are long-term.